The mission of the Princess Anne Garden Club is to educate and involve our membership in the ways of gardening, conservation of our environment and natural resources, and restoration of historic gardens. We do this by contributing to those common aspects in our community and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Hill Sisters, the original founders of the Princess Anne Garden Club, circa 1933
Founded on February 6, 1932 by the Hill Sisters, the Princess Anne Garden remains the oldest garden club in Virginia Beach, VA. The PAGC was admitted to the Garden Club of Virginia in 1938. Currently, the over 70 members of the Princess Anne Garden Club support several efforts and community projects in the Virginia Beach area.
Over the years, the PAGC has received the following accolades:
- Established the “wildflower preserve” at Lake Lawson, an early joint venture with the Garden Club of Norfolk, and sole club project after 1947.
- 1941: The GCV Massie Medal for Distinguished Service received by Miss Evelyn Collins Hill
- 1961: Commendation from the State of Virginia for continued contributions to Seashore State Park and its re-opening and to Historic Garden Week Tour
- GCV deLacy Gray Medal for preservation of Seashore State Park
- 1979: Published “Herbs, Now and Then”
- 1980: GCV deLacy Gray Medal received by Mrs. William R. Miller, Jr. for creating the “Eyes” program
- 1993: GCV Commonwealth Award received by the PAGC for restoring the gardens at the deWitt Cottage
- 2002: Reprinted “Herbs, Now and Then”
- 2010: Council of Garden Clubs of Virginia Beach ABC Award for New Beautification Project for the Hope House Lakewood Apartments Project
- Council of Garden Clubs of Virginia Beach Youth Nature Camp Award
- 2013: The GCV deLacy Gray Conservation Meal received by Mrs. David Dickerson
- The GCV Horticulture Award of Merit received by Mrs. Zeb Holt
- 2nd place in the GCV Commonwealth Award for First Landing State Park project